Wednesday 3 October 2007

Weighty Matters

I was doing quite well since my decision to diet, actually, until I arrived at work this morning and found that the menu for breakfast was that all-american-favourite (and this South African's too!): crumpets! Crumpets, people! Oh, wait, don't you Americano's call it flap-jacks? Or pancakes? Not sure, but I remember we ate it for breakfast when we were holidaying there in 2004. Now you all know that I have oh-so-much self-discipline. Snigger snigger! So, obviously I walked right on by without giving the crumpets so much as a passing glance...
.
Yeah right. I mean, LOOK at them!
.
Blasted weakling that I am, I had three. Then went looking for more. Thank goodness for me, the scoffers kids attending the Bush Camp were hungrier than I was, and had finished them off while I was drizzling mine with honey golden syrup.
.
Why does the best food have to be the most fatteningestest? Like, say, for example, lasagne. Or chocolate. Or coffee. Now, I still vehemently deny that coffee is fattening, but the proof is in the pudding. So to speak.
.
I'm really struggling to diet. Maybe it's extra hard because I never had to diet before fertility treatments. And middle age. Oh, and crumpets. So, in the interest of dodging calories, I've compiled a NOT To Do While I'm Dieting List:-
  1. Walk past crumpets.
  2. Meander through bakeries.
  3. Watch late-night movies while the kitchen is unlocked.
  4. Skip breakfast
  5. Find out somebody is going into town and send money with them for coffee. And muffins.
  6. Forget to get my exercise video put onto dvd.
  7. Twice.
  8. By accident.
  9. Steal the Feta out of the salad (I'm so NOT a feta girl, but hey, cheese is cheese, after all).
  10. Listen to Mika's "Big Girl, You are Beautiful" song. OK, maybe just one last time. For good riddance, and all of that.




6 comments:

Kelly said...

I never knew that crumpets and pancakes were the same. Ahhh, the day's not wasted...

Much Ado said...

Mmmmmm, I know I couldn't resist those crumpets....yum!

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT song. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

Good luck with project skinny you. When I lost much of my weight I allowed myself one cheating day a month. That way I didn't feel deprived.

Anonymous said...

Guess what I'm doing tonight?! Ladies nite is crumpet night. I have to take a topping - I'm thinking caramel! mmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my post. Don't give up your dream. Truly, I never thought it would happen for me. I was praying to God that He would help me accept a lifetime without children. I was to the point that more than children I wanted to be o.k. with a future that did not include them.

You will have your child. Whether that child comes to you or through you does not matter. Don't give up your dream.

Karen Hossink said...

Have you ever had chocolate chip pancakes, er I mean, crumpets? Soooo good, and so NOT good for you. Maybe on a "cheat" day!