Tuesday 23 October 2007

I remember

One of my most favourite people on planet earth, Ms Teagarden of Not So Long Ago has tagged me to do this post. Considering that I have a memory like a goldfish, this might prove to be really challenging for me. Think Writing Examination Stress. But I like Ms Teagarden so much that I am quite willing to torture myself into submission, just for her!
.
I remember walking along our farm road as a child and eating clods from the roadside.
.
I remember getting two bucks for tuckshop in my first year at school and being too shy to stand in the queue and actually have to SAY SOMETHING in order to buy a sticky iced bun and a coke!
.
I remember my sister and I having rotten guava fights in our garden, and getting a good spanking from my gran for spreading the guava seeds.
.
I remember being allowed to stay up half an hour later than usual one night per week, so that I could watch MacGuyver to the end.
.
I remember my mom sitting beside my bed for hours on end, with me holding onto her thumb until I'd fallen asleep, because I was so afraid of being alone in my room.
.
I remember when you could get two chappies for half a cent.
.
I remember the day Lady Di and Prince Charles got married, and every shop and school in town closed down so we could watch the event live on teevee.
.
I remember sliding down the hill on a flattened cardboard box and thinking that nothing on this earth could ever feel better than that.
.
I remember my first kiss. It was from a guy I didn't like. It wasn't with my permission. And I brushed my teeth for about fifteen minutes afterwards thinking I would surely die from disgust!
.
I remember wearing a bikini when I was still young and skinny enough to pull it off, and being so shy that people would think I was fat, that I hid under my towel the whole day rather than hopping into the water.
.
I remember my first love. You never do forget your first love, do you?
.
I remember the last time I took the pill, and thinking to myself what a surprise it would be to tell everyone I was pregnant.
.
I remember the day my nephew was born, and how everything on the planet seemed brighter for his presence.
.
I remember Jodi-Lee.
.
I remember running under the sprinkler in my birthday-suit in summer, with all my cousins in their birthday-suits too, and nobody thinking it was incestuous.
.
I remember trying to stay awake all night on Christmas Eve, thinking the morning (and pressies) would come sooner that way.
.
I remember my cousins and I forming a trailer train: the first person on a bicycle, the next on a skateboard, and then a few of us on rollerskates and in buggies, all being pulled by the one on the bicycle.
.
I also remember many mickey-mouse plasters (band-aids for USA'ns) on grazed kneeschinselbowsnosesbums.
.
I remember my first concert. Bon Jovi, baby! With my sister, all my cousins, aunties and my (future) sister-in-law. Screaming until we were hoarse and partying until our feet were blistered. And then playing Bon Jovi cassette tapes in the car all the way back home again (600 kilometers drive). To this day, Living On A Prayer or Bad Medicine or Bed of Roses still gives me the hibby-jibbies. And the foot-tappings and booty-shakings.
.
I remember phoning a boy I had a crush on and then hanging up as soon as he said hello, just so I could hear his voice. And then my cousin (Yvette) pressed redial and played "I don't want your money, honey, I want your love" by Transvision Vamp to him and then said her name was Char in Standard 6! I was so embarrassed I avoided him for the rest of the school year.
.
I remember my sister and I fighting over who was going to sit in the front seat of the car. Because it was waaaaay cooler to be in the front seat than in the back. Most of the time she won. Being the eldest and all. And therefore being able to clobber me when my mom wasn't looking. Hehe!
.
I remember showering in a "communal" bathroom at a campsite when I was about 5 or 5, and seeing a lady with really small droopy boobs in the cubicle beside mine and thinking that if I could do something about it, I would NEVER have small boobs. Little did I know!
.
I remember my mom chasing Aurette and I to give us a spanking, and we outran her. So she took off her shoe and threw it at us. Haha!
.
I remember the day my brand new motorbike arrivied when I was in High School and thinking I was the bee's knees.
.
I remember giving my heart to Jesus. It was the single biggest event of my life. And probably the best decision I ever made.
.
And now, I tag:-


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading all the things you remembered brings back alot of memories of the things i can remember growing up. one tends to forget these things over the years and then it just takes something small to trigger those memories again. One that sticks in my mind is when you dressed janine and myself in your mothers lace curtains. Ha ha ha.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I forgot about all the dress ups that you did. Can you also remember making Nana and mom sit down to put on the same play each school holiday about Gladys the maid ... where did we get these ideas from? I miss Nana so much.... I wish she was still here... What fun we always had together, all the trips to down in the prams, and running around her flat! Poor lady... I hope she gets lots of jewels in her crown one day for all she put up with from all of us..... remember the train trip to Pretoria? Good old days!

Jo said...

I remember the Bon Jovi concert it was my first two, I stayed on at Sedaven after finishing matric just to go and watch it. Where you at the jhb concert? We would have been there together.

I'll do my list asap and post it when I get my laptop back

Anonymous said...

OOOPPPSSS! I guess of all the comments I've made you may have received zilch or maybe one!?

Sorry about your sore ass but glad you're feeling better!

I can identify with quite a few of your "I remembers" (especially the chappie one!!)

Love and miss ya!

Shannon said...

Good remember thinking!
I think it helps to lead life.

Remember it and Done it, That's a logic!

Chat Place

Anonymous said...

I knew it would be good :)! You are too sweet! Thanks for you words about me!!

Kelly said...

thanks for the tag, Char!