Tuesday 10 April 2007

Being home...

There are a few things I love about coming home after some time away. If you're like me, then these are probably on the top of your list too!
  1. This is my favourite thing about coming home again: being able to SIT on my loo again. I have this aversion to public amenities! My extraordinarily overactive imagination conjures up all sorts of horrific images of grotesque germs lying in wait on every surface of the toilet, flush, doorhandles and taps. I even cringe at the prospect of breathing in the contaminated air in there! Don't even get me started telling you how horrendous it is trying to do a number two, while hovering over the receptacle. It's literally like trying to bomb Pearl Harbour - invading enemy territory and all that... So, arriving home to my spiffy, sparkling, sterile, sanitary loo (with only my friendly germs on it!) is like finding Heaven on Earth after wondering through Hades for an eternity. (I don't believe in Hell, so pardon the analogy) I get to remove my gas mask and plastic surgical gloves and stash away my germ-destroying hand cleaner and enjoy my sweet smelling soap and fluffy towels again. BLISS!
  2. My second most-favourite thing about coming home again is the reunion with my kitty! She smothers me with love all through the night, purring and flitting her little whiskers over my nose and parading past my pillow, draping herself over my shoulders, drooling my bedding quite wet. It's FANTASTIC!
  3. Having a working fridge.
  4. Showering without slip-slops on.
  5. Knowing exactly where all my things are, all the time, and not having to unpack the entire cupboard to get to them.
  6. Not smelling like fire smoke.
  7. Being warm.

But all of these things are overshadowed by knowing it will be months before we get to see all our friends again. I miss you guys already. Can't believe it was only yesterday that we were all together.

One day, we'll never have to say goodbye again.

For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 1 Thessalonians 4 v 16-17 (NIV)

I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. John 14 v 1-3 (NKJV)

I can't wait for us to go to our proper Home! No more goodbyes! (Or germ-infested public bathrooms!) And an eternity with Jesus. Now that's what I call coming home.

Click here to see some pics of the weekend.


No comments: