Friday 20 April 2007

Signs and wonders

A few things have happened lately that have just re-inforced our decision to adopt... it's amazing that God has sent SO many people our way, who, without even knowing it, have spoken words of encouragement to me and given confirmation to us, that this is really what we should do.
.
I used to be one of those people who would always ask God for a sign. Until I read Mark 8 v 12, which says that "He sighed deeply and said, 'Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it.'" I so don't want to be someone who causes Jesus to "sigh deeply"! Imagine that! And that makes me think - imagine if we could see Jesus' every expression! Every thought that we think and every action we do - if immediately we could see Jesus' face before us and know exactly what Jesus' reaction would be. I don't think we'd do half the things we do now.
.

But back to my point. I no longer ask Jesus for signs as confirmation that we're following His lead. I have come to the point now, where I believe that if I've asked God for guidance, I should take a step forward in faith, believing that indeed, God will guide. Isn't it encouraging that God has promised that "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." James 1 v 5. Did you notice that there are no clauses placed on that promise? All who ask for wisdom will be given it. Awesome! Another good verse to remind us that God will look after us if we trust Him is found in Proverbs 3 v 5,6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths."
.
It's been a long road to bring me to the point where I am finally willing to place my trust in God again. I had been fighting with God for so long! I'd forgotten that He trully wants what's best for us. Especially as far as our eternal good is concerned.
.
And now I want to share with you just how amazing it's been recently, to place my trust in God again, and how He has rewarded my trust!
.
As you know, last year I phoned dozens of adoption agencies and got not a single response from any of them. At the start of this year, once again I phoned and got the same response, i.e. silence and sorries. Then a few weeks ago, I took this whole situation to God in prayer, believing that God did have a plan, and asked Him to open and close doors as He saw fit. I was just so tired of fighting with God over this that I just said to Him: God, what would YOU have me do? Please show me. I am tired of doing this alone and without Your blessing. And, then, the doors started opening!
.
In that same week I received the email from Debbie and Brad (lawyers who specialize in adoption from overseas) and from K&S Adoptions (who also specialize in adoption from overseas). Beyond that I bumped into a friend at the mall who told me that she was adopted, and incidentally, she comes from the Eastern European countries herself! I knew she was Eastern European (I think Slovac) but I never knew she was adopted! And then an elderly lady came up to me at church and told me that she was never able to have children, and that she had adopted two beautiful children, and I had never known that either. The same day, another elderly lady came up to me at church and revealed to me that she was an adopted child herself. And if I tell you many more people approached me within days of that incident, I mean handfulls of people all told me, separately and independantly of eachother, that they either had or were adopted. Now, isn't that amazing? It's like God was using all of these God-fearing people to tell me, Char, things are going to be ok!
.
The clincher for me though, was this week.
.
On Wednesday night Robin and I met up with a really good friend of ours (Joey) for dinner together. She lives in Johannesburg, but was here on business. She asked how it was going with the whole adoption thing etc. I told her what I've just told you. And then she said "When my sister adopted from Russia, she used K and S Adoptions" - the very same agency as what we have made contact with!
.
Now tell me this isn't God's handiwork! I just praise God that He's seen fit to reassure me through so many different people that what we're doing is the right thing, for now. I will continue to trust Him through this process. I will not ask Him for signs and wonders, just for His continued blessing. And in the end, God knows best! I can't wait to see what else God is going to do in our lives!


No comments: