Monday 23 April 2007

Of rhino's and rumblings

There we were, calmly chomping on our (vegetarian) hotdogs, dried fruit and nuts, relishing the fresh air and twittering birds, when in the distance we heard what could easily have been mistaken for rolling thunder... Cautiously, we all lifted our eyes to the clear blue sky, wondering where the rumblings were emanating from. It was then that the volume was turned up and the distant rumblings started sounding ominously like that herd of buffalo in Dances with Wolves... All of us who had only minutes previously been picnicing, started twisting our heads this way and that, searching for the source of the noise... and then we saw it! One lone rhinoceros came charging down the hill, rounded a corner and made a bee-line rhino-line straight at us! There, behind him, was one - one! - panicked game keeper running with a twig - a twig!!! - in hand, chasing the rhino and hollering at the top of his lungs! It was when the rhino aimed at our table that the bunch of us I jumped onto my chair in an effort to escape the stampeding beast... and then, the little rhino came to a skidding stop just two short metres from where we were I was perched atop my little chair in my feeble attempt to evade the animal. My shattered nerves, man!
.
Turns out the rhino is quite a tame little fella, who likes teasing the tourists. Tell that to my panicked picnic patrons!
.
See, on Sabbath, Robin and I took a bunch of the kids from church to a really fun place, called The Lion Park. In retrospect, it was quite funny, me balancing on the picnic chair. Ha ha hardy ha! Robin is still chuckling. The bugger. As for Maxine, the rhinoceros, I think she's having the last laugh, and looking forward to the next bunch of picnicers to panic in her back yard.
.
Here's little Ethan (my nephew) keeping Maxi company.

.



No comments: