Wednesday 18 April 2007

Love Letters from the past

Yesterday I had one of the best conversations I've had in many years. It was an online one, and with one of my very old ex's... The reason it was so good? Well... I couldn't even really tell you. As we chatted, the memories came flooding back...
.
He was my very first boyfriend ever. You know - the cutest guy at school, the type that always has a long line of girls just waiting for an opportunity to grab him. I was head over heels, knees and noses in love with him. He just had to smile at me, and I was like putty. We would pass each other in the hallways and I would lose my ability to think, leave alone talk. I always knew when he was nearby. I could feel him nearby. It was glorious! Heart-pouding-hands-sweating-skin-tingling-life-changingly fabulous, darling. I remember the anticipation... waiting for the school bell to ring, so that I just might see him in the hallways. We eventually progressed from shy smiles at eachother to actually writing eachother love letters. I found my box of letters just the other day. They still smelled of the deo he had sprayed on them. The minute I opened that box I remembered those school days of how I would walk around with his letter stashed in my blazer pocket, impatiently waiting for the school day to end, so I could get home and carefuly slit open the letter. It was as much the knowledge of holding something that he had actually held, and smelling something he had actually smelled (and sprayed), as reading the words that he had written and the anticipation of did he end the letter with "From"... or "Love"...? It was all that, and more. It was a love so pure and precious. It was My First Love. He was my very first boyfriend. He would also be my third, fourth, sixth, eighth and more. We had a few break-ups and make-ups. But never a "I want to break up with you." He would just move on and find someone else. And I would wait. For him. It was always only him, for me. I wanted no other. Although I did have a few other boyfriends... They just weren't him.
.
The irony of it, is that my undying love for him rubbed off on one of my best friends. Who subsequently married him. At the time I was murderously jealous quite upset. It just didn't seem right. I was angry and heart-broken and jealous and heart-broken and...
.
And then do you know what I did? The same thing as my friend who had married the man I loved. Hahaha! Well, not immediately after. A few years later.
.
Long story made short: Robin used to date a girl who was my friend. I introduced them. About a year after they broke up, Robin and I got together, and within two weeks of us getting together we had decided this was it. We were meant for eachother and had to spend the rest of our lives together. Praise God it actually worked out for us!
.
In retrospect everything worked out just right. I have my knight-in-shining-armour. He is perfect for me. Do I think it could have worked out with My First love? Of course! That's the whole point of having had that first puppy love anyway. But, I have My Mr Right. And I wouldn't change him for the world.
.
It was a FANTASTIC trip down Memory Lane, by the way. I was once told that we don't remember the things a person did or said, as much as we remember they way they made us feel. V true.
.
I'm so blessed to have had (at least) two men in my life who made me feel fabulous. And I praise God for them. And now I have My One, who I get to keep for life. Aren't I just spoiled rotten?


No comments: