Thursday 29 March 2007

Ooooohhhhh, the yokey pokey!

Praise God. I just had a revelation. If this is as good a reason as I'm going to find, then it's enough for me right now.
.
Remember the other day (in my post "Of butts and crackers...") I shared with you that text where God says "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." [Matthew 11 v 28]... and later it says in v 29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Remember, I didn't really comment on the "take My yoke upon you" part.
.
Now that's the thing that just slotted into place in my mind.
.
Do you know what a yoke is? Besides the yellow squidgy bit of an egg, I mean. Oh wait, that's a yolk isn't it? OK, so a yoke is:

  • A crossbar with two U-shaped pieces that encircle the necks of a pair of oxen or other draft animals working together. plural: yoke or yokes. A pair of draft animals, such as oxen, joined by a yoke.
  • A bar used with a double harness to connect the collar of each horse to the pole of a wagon or coach.

So that tells me, it's something that binds one to another, so that the one lessens the load the other one is pulling. It's a teamwork thing. It means that the animals are joined to eachother with something that keeps them walking side by side. If one runs ahead of the other, the yoke doesn't do it's job. It's meant to help them SHARE the load and keep them walking side by side. Isn't that really interesting? So now let's read that verse again...

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." [Matthew 11 v 29]

It's a special yoke. It's a yoke that Jesus designed. See, He calls it "My yoke." And what is the purpose of it? To bind us to Him. To help us to walk with Him. To keep us at His side. To allow Him to share our burdens. And what is the result if we allow ourselves to be yoked to Him? We "will find rest for our souls".

So now, how can I be so impatient with my life and not having a baby? That just tells me that I've untied the yoke and run away from Jesus; I've gone and run in search of an answer to my own prayers. I need to step in line with Him again. I really want that "rest" for my soul, that He promises. I want that peace that passes all understanding. I want to walk (and work) by Jesus' side. I want to work with Him, not run ahead of Him.

Time for me to strap on His yoke again, I think.


No comments: